Please review the Data Collection Solutions for Applied Research webinar, presented by Dr. Indira Guzman, COB Doctoral Studies Director; and Dr. Christopher Linski, Professor of Doctoral Studies for the DBA Program. The presentation focuses heavily on qualitative research, as this method is typically the most beneficial approach to completing your DSP in a way that is meaningful to your subject organization. However, it is also important for you to understand the advantages and disadvantages of all three methods.
Data collection solutions for applied research [Video]. YouTube.
Although the full presentation is valuable for completing your DSP, the first 38 minutes of the presentation—in which quantitative and qualitative methods, data sets, and instruments are discussed—are the most applicable to this assignment.
After reading the required background material and finding at least two other resources on your own, write a 5- to 7-page paper discussing the topic:
Qualitative vs. Quantitative Research
In your paper, you should answer the following questions using your own evaluation and critical thinking.
1. Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative research in business research.
2. Discuss three examples of quantitative data sets used in business research.
3. Evaluate three examples of quantitative data collection instruments and data analysis tools used in business research.
4. Evaluate three examples of qualitative data collection instruments and data analysis tools used in business research.
5. Explain the pros and cons of mixed methods.
6. Discuss in more detail the characteristics of qualitative research.
Length: The written component of this assignment should be 5-7 pages long (double-spaced) without counting the cover page and reference page.
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity. We encourage you to use tools such as grammarly.com and proofread your paper before submission.
As you complete your assignment, make sure you do the following:
· Answer the assignment questions directly.
· Stay focused on the precise assignment questions. Do not go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
· Use evidence from your readings to justify your conclusions.
· Be sure to cite at least five credible resources.