Discussion Prior to engaging in this discussion, please read Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 in your text and review the instructor guidance. If your last name begins with A through M, you will discuss the theory of constructivism and its relationship to learning. If your last name begins with N through Z, you will discuss humanism and its relationship to learning psychology.
Consider the following:
· Constructivists suggest that a person’s reality is unique from others. Thus, this unique reality affects what and how effective knowledge is acquired, and is affected by numerous variables such as culture, past experiences, and past knowledge.
· Humanism posits a purposefully person-centered approach to learning that includes personal growth, focus on self-development, and personal needs.
Include the following:
If your last name begins with A through M:
· Explain why logical positivism would not be a supporter for constructivist-based theories? Do you agree or disagree?
· Hint: Can we “see” mental constructions?
· Compare how exogenous constructivism, endogenous constructivism, and dialectical constructivism differ, and why it matters.
· Analyze how situated cognition (discussed in Week 3) supports the suggestions made by constructivism?
· Discuss a personal experience in which constructivism ideologies explained either the effectiveness of, or the non-effectiveness of, the learning experience.
· Would you consider this learning experience exploratory learning, inquiry learning, or problem-based learning? Why?
· Identify the implications in learning effectiveness that might exist if construction of individualized knowledge is negated.
If your last name begins with N through Z:
· Justify the learning potential when the learning experience is approached from a human’s potential, rather than from a purely content driven (you need to know this) perspective.
· Waldorf Education claims to be a school founded on humanism ideologies. Identify the key variables suggested by Waldorf Education.
· Compare how this method may differ between young learners versus adult learners (yourself)?
· Describe a personal example of experiential learning that you have experienced and the outcomes you experienced associated with this method.
· Justify how motivation and a person’s needs potentially increase effective learning, as suggested by humanistic ideologies.
· Illustrate how the variables of organismic integration theory (OIT) reflect the humanistic model.
Your initial post should be between 350 and 400 words. You must support your discussion by citing the required textbook. Cite all information from your sources according to APA guidelines as outlined in the APA: Citing Within Your Papers (Links to an external site.) resource. List each of your sources at the end of your posting according to APA Style as shown in the sample page for APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource.
Guided Peer Responses: Read several of your classmates’ posts, and respond to at least two of your classmates and at least one of your classmates’ responses to your initial post by Day 7 (Monday). Each peer posting should be a minimum of 200 words. Monitor this forum throughout the week to create interactive dialogue to help develop your knowledge.
At least one of your replies should be to a student that addressed a different theory or ideology than you did, and address the following:
· Did you agree with their summations?
· How do you think these two areas (constructivism and humanism) could potentially work together to increase effective learning opportunities for self, and others?
· How might you approach life (and learning) if you were a promoter of humanism (human transformation)?
Instructor Responses: Review any instructor feedback on your postings. Often feedback is shared to help you to elevate your level of critical thought or make corrections. Reply based on this feedback to advance your understanding of the content addressed.