education Book Review (100pts.) Final Project and Reflection
–This paper should focus on the text, To Teach. It should not exceed 10 pages.
Please respond to #1, #2, #3 and two additional questions relating to your
reading of To Teach.
1. Think about something you love, something you like to do,
something you care about, something that arouses your passion
and dedication. Describe how you could teach that thing, how you
could make room for it in your classroom, how you might expose
your students to that passion and to you as a person of
2. Develop three curriculum ideas or projects or activities that might
bring students into greater visibility. How could that project
deepen over several weeks or months?
3. Design a Step-Up Day, when students prepare to leave your
class and grade, and advance to the next ones.
4. The “Teaching Myths” can seem provocative and controversial to
some teachers. Do you find them so? Take one myth and
disagree with it. Write a paragraph that takes on the issue from
an entirely different angle.
5. Invent a myth about teaching or teachers that you have observed
6. Read Myth 2 in Chapter 1 and describe three activities or projects
that a teacher education program could offer that would be more
vital preparation for teaching.
7. Draw a map of your bedroom, living room, or kitchen. What does
the environment say now? Intentionally change that environment
to speak more directly and more strongly to something you value.
And then make that space more of a space for literacy (reading,
8. Make a list of ten things you can do in any learning environment
that say, “READ!”
9. Design three activities for students in which the prime motivator is
an audience, rather than a teacher’s grade book.
10. Design a coming-of-age ceremony for students.