Population Health Advocacy
Human trafficking, extreme poverty, preventable diseases, the opioid crisis and the lack of adequate low-income housing are a few current societal concerns worthy of social change. Nurses and healthcare leaders are in a good position to shape and influence health care policy.
Think of a cause you believe in strongly. Access the website of your elected officials either at the local, state, or federal level using the following link: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials/ or use the website of your choice. Explore some of the issues and committees your legislators are involved in and select at least one that interest you or align with your beliefs. You may also contact your legislator’s office and speak to his or her legislative assistant by calling the U.S. Capitol switchboard operator at (202) 224-3121 for the Senate and (202) 225-3121 for the House. Legislator assistants are very knowledgeable about the legislator’s agenda and can provide a wealth of information.
This assignment will be at least 1500 words or more. This week reflect on advocacy, collaborative partnerships with other health care practitioners and stakeholders, and the policy making process and write a paper that addresses the following:
· Describe the policy issue, policy problem of interest or a particular bill that your legislator has introduced
· Elaborate on why the policy matters and what you can possibly do to strengthen the policy?
· Briefly define the role you would play as an advocate for the healthcare consumer and healthcare professionals.
· Explain how the policy impacts the public at large or a particular population.
· What stakeholders would you collaborate with to promote the cause?