Reading Reflection Answer the following reflection questions.
1) In what ways do you think community wellbeing and equity are related?
2) Think of a group you belong to. What is a powerful unexamined idea attached to this Group? How has it affected you, positively or negatively?
3) Which areas/topics related to equity would you like to further explore? Challenging Racism and Microaggressions
· Watch the entire video for ‘Microaggressions in the Classroom’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZahtlxW2CIQ (Note: Portions of this video were already included in the presentation)
· Also read: “Here’s what racial microaggressions look like in everyday life” (Appia, 2020) https://www.toronto.com/news-story/10138002-here-s-what-racial-microaggressions-look-like-in-everyday-life/
Using the resources referenced above, reflect upon the impact of racial microaggressions on students in the classroom and the broader Centennial College community and answer the following questions:
1. Why is it important to understand racial microaggressions today?
2. What are the impacts of microaggressions on students? How might they be affected by the experience of racial microaggressions?
3. Identify 3 concrete actions that you can take in your school community to prevent, address, or respond to microaggressions when they occur? Describe each and explain their effectiveness in challenging racism and microaggressions?