SOC203- RACE & MINORITY GROUPS Lesson 15 Discussion.
Now that you’ve familiarized yourself with the concept of implicit bias, please take a few moments to take a few of the quizzes within the link below. Please know that your results are confidential, but this is an excellent time to reflect on the outcome of the test. If you see that you test with a high bias against a group of people, reflect on your behavior. Can you think of social situations over the span of your life in which you inadvertently displayed that bias?
When you have completed the implicit bias test, ask yourself, “How can I be more sensitive to oppression and discrimination?” Share those answers with your peers. You do not have to be specific about the outcome of your test; rather, use those results to make yourself a more culturally responsive professional! Remember to present and examine those options by trauma-informed care and cultural competency, using also what you’ve learned about social-emotional learning.
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html (Links to an external site.)
****Note: please take at least the “Race” test and the “Gender Career” test. If you choose to take another, the other can be of your choice.
Lesson 16 Assignment
TOPIC: Developing Sensitivity to Oppression & Discrimination Continued
One of the most important parts of professional development in any field is honest self-reflection. Before the end of class, let’s reflect on that what you learned and how you can use it. Take a few moments to address the following questions about the class and the information you learned.
The class objective has been to deepen your knowledge about minority groups, as well as the social stratification that has resulted due to their minority status, and how to create meaningful solutions to private problems that result from systemic issues.
· How has this class’s content helped you to understand minority groups better?
· How do you think that the knowledge of this class will help you in your professional career?
· How can you apply your knowledge in the workforce?
· Will you be integrating your outcome of the “Implicit Bias” test into your everyday work life? Why or why not?
· Reflect on the class content. Does the outcome of the “Implicit Bias” test challenge your approach to minority groups, whether that’s personally or regarding the public policy for/social welfare of minority groups?
Please use standard APA format for headings and citations to address the following writing prompt. Your response should be a minimum of two pages.