Management and Leadership Paper Assignment Instructions
You are to prepare a research paper on the difference between leadership and management and between leaders and managers.
Although leadership and management are essential processes, they are distinct from one another. We learned that both are needed and must function together in any organization that is seeking to implement change. Likewise, when it comes to people, leaders are not the same as managers. They differ in their roles, values, risk tolerance, orientations toward change, and their contributions to the team.
Your paper is to discuss, and where appropriate, illustrate these distinctions. You should also consider how these processes and people interact in the achievement of the organization’s mission.
Finally, you are to personally apply this information in the form of a self-reflective section of your paper written in the first person. Your paper must be 1,250–1,750 words in length, meet APA style standards for professional papers, and include a minimum of 7 scholarly citations.
Your paper must include the following headings. Develop appropriate subheadings where needed.
· Defining Leadership and Management
In this section, define and differentiate leadership and management as organizational processes. You are to distinguish between these processes and discuss their relationship to one another. Provide citations to support your assertions.
· Comparing Leaders and Managers
In this section, define and differentiate leaders and managers as from one another with regards to their thinking, roles, values, contributions, and attitude toward risk of both the leader and manager orientations.
· Biblical Examples
In this section, identify biblical examples of leadership and management and leaders and managers. Your examples should be used to illustrate these process and people distinctions and their relationship to one another.
· Personal Application
In this section, apply the concepts of your paper to yourself. This section is to be self-reflective, written in the first person, and consider the following questions.
(1) Do I think and function as more of a manager or leader?
(2) What can I do to grow as a manager?
(3) What can I do to improve as a leader?
Your paper must meet the following standards (see rubric) to an
Advanced level paper.
· Your paper must be 1,250–1,750 words in length.
· Your paper must meet the current APA style requirements. Your paper must follow the “Professional” style template. This includes the title page, abstract, and reference page. The title page, abstract, and references are not included in the required word count.
· Your paper must include a minimum of 7 scholarly citations. This 7-citation standard does not include course textbooks, the Bible, or Bible commentaries. You may use them in preparing your paper and should cite them appropriately, but they do not count toward your seven citations.
· Your paper must be written in a formal academic style, including when responding to questions related to yourself as the writer. When responding to those questions, you should refer to yourself with phrases like “this writer…” or “this researcher…” or “the author of this paper.” This style may seem odd to you, but that is the accepted style of writing for your dissertation. By getting in that mode for all submissions, you will likely have fewer issues later when you write your prospectus and dissertation. Note that this is an exception to the APA style guide.
· Where expressly stated as an exception, you are to write in the first person.
· Your paper must be well-written, have a logical flow, and demonstrate exceptional care in aligning the submitted work with the assignment instructions.
· Your paper must be free of errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
Page 2 of 2